Top Jeweller Vs Topshop

AttorneyAnnieCommentary:

Jewelry and accessories are considered “useful articles” in copyright law, meaning they’re not just works of art and have some utilitarian or functional purpose as well. Rings, for example, are to be worn on your hand as adornment. The only part of such useful articles that are protected by copyright are the “nonuseful” parts. Stuff like carvings and intricate design work may be copyrightable if they can be identified separately and can exist independently of the object’s utilitarian aspects. This is known in copyright law as the separability doctrine. Below is a great example from a YTWWN reader. The ring itself is a noncopyrightable useful article, but what about the  intricate markings on the band and the cushion of the gem?

***

FLATTERED or OUTRAGED?! William Llewellyn Griffiths the creator behind Australian jewellery brand Metal Couture has been making intricate pieces of jewellery for over thirty years, it seems however that he has a fan in Topshop’s ‘design team.’ You be the judge….

Topshops-WLG-ripoff2

Topshop’s Cleopatra Box Ring

William Llewellyn Griffiths

Metal Couture Jewelery’s

Topaz Locking Ring

Posted by WGL  |  7 Comments  |  in Design, Fashions, jewelry, Uncategorized

7 Comments

1. Dede Marconato 12/13/2014 5:44 am

Hi,
    I recently had a concept ripped off by another jewellery who was sitting right next to me. I’ve been working on my handmade concept for on and off 2 years now, so you can imagine I was pretty upset to come back to work after a month off to find that this woman had taken the handmade concept, gone off and had it designed in CAD (not by her) and then cast in a stainless steel mould and ta da!!!
    I am fortunate enough have a date stamped picture of the rough prototype and several other designers saw me working on it so know it is my work.
    I had a private text exchange with her asking her to please not display or exhibit the earrings at the same private launch we were both participating in until we could resolve the issue and she went off on me and accused me of defamation. Obviously it’s not defamation if its a private exchange between the two of us but if I post the work here, is this not opening up a situation where I could end up with legal bills I can’t afford?

2. Jewels Vine 09/27/2012 4:54 am

And, on closer research, a bona Fide piece of junk as one would expect.
    This sort of work simply can not be made by the average costume Jeweller. Although the ring has been withdrawn from sale (hopefully not sold out to duped customers), the customer feedback tells the whole story, loose lid that opens all the time….and what exactly does “100 per cent metal” mean? (:
    There’s no substitute for real quality my friends!

3. Jewels Vine 09/27/2012 1:48 am

Blatant slavish facsimile! identical except for the stone.
    Every original jewellers nightmare.
    I cannot believe the first poster could not see the difference…the word moron springs to mind (:

4. Ann Nonymous 08/14/2012 9:19 pm

I agree they are identical down to the engraving and lock. Only the set stone is different. Most certainly a direct rip off.

5. Meghan 07/16/2012 6:36 am

its such a shame that topshop would do such things.. im a jeweller aswell and i think its wrong to copy someones handmade/designed object.
    its the same.. there is no borrowing an idea.. its the whole idea.. it would be a different story if topshop took an aspect of the ring as inspiration eg: the form or the pattern…

lost a customer for life

6. David 06/07/2012 3:32 pm

Similar? Similar? Are you blind? Apart from the top they are identical, down to the engraved pattern. Jeeesus.

7. Barry J. 06/06/2012 2:39 am

They are both similar, and beautiful but are not the same. I’d say not and issue here.