Prolific Ripping

Note: None of these ripped items are mine, but they belong to numerous creative individuals out there, only a few can I identify, perhaps you might be able to identify some of the other art and help inform the original owners. Work is stolen all the time and put on desktop wallpaper websites and the like, but this individual is trying to pass off this work as his own to fraudulently get jobs. So not cool.

Once upon a time there was a young man by the name of Brett Bash. He liked to claim he was a graphic designer extraordinaire, photographer, and all around visionary artist. He would go on to claim developed several high-profile websites, include Marc Ecko’s website (as referenced here, specifically @ 1:32). The unfortunate thing is that Brett Bash’s personal portfolios were just lousy with work he had ripped from other artists, companies, and even stock photography websites. Yes, he bought (probably found on a blog, though) stock photography to put in his portfolio.

He would claim that he was this amazing model photographer to chat up potential models to perhaps do a session with him. Which if you think about it, is very creepy, and possibly dangerous to these young women who would think they’re working with an established professional, only to end up in the “studio” of a poser for a “photo shoot.” I’m sure you can see the problem there.

Here’s a quote from his website:

Hi. My name is Brett Bash. Slick and sleek, I capture polished images that sell beauty, rendering a reality in far greater definition than the eye may even comprehend. At its best, photography carves out a world through light and shadow that represents reality transformed, beyond a document, simulating the physical complete with a sense of space, time, weight and corporeal properties Through rich, sensual color, my works exhale a sense of life; through a complex tonal range, I capture moments. Shooting stunning models, beautiful cars, and magnificent scenery, I have one finger on the shutter release, and another on the future.

Funny enough, that is also stolen. It’s part of Wendy Whitesell’s artist bio. His thievery knows. no. bounds.

Early in 2011 a small design forum caught wind of what he was up to with all of his design thievery, and started contacting him to remove his stolen work. Eventually after a good Google Bombing and lots verbal tongue lashing, he eventually took his website offline. It was the end of some pretty prolific ripping. Or so was thought.

Eventually he came back with a vengence. While his original portfolio (brettbash.com), is devoid of the ripped work from before, and now mostly focuses on what is to be believed his actual breadth of work – mostly car related ads, brochures, flyers – he has several new sites up with new stolen work. One is his photography portfolio, and another is his digital/traditional art portfolio

Here’s a few examples of the work he’s ripped off across a few of his various websites, as of May 4, 2011:

#1 Original Artist: Lvnel at istockphoto.com

#2 Original Artist: P0RG at deviantart.com

#3 Original Artist: asdfgfunky at deviantart.com

#4 Original Artist: AstonMartin.com

#5 Original Artist: Dave E. Phillips at threadless.com

#6 Original Artist: Wen-M at deviantart.com

#7 Original Artist: Zach Bush

#8 Original Artist: i-evermind at deviantart.com

I just don’t know what to do. This kind of thing just isn’t right and needs to be stopped.

Posted by Concerned  |  38 Comments  |  in Design, Deviantart, Fine Art, Photography, Web

38 Comments

1. t shirt printing machine 04/29/2015 10:09 pm

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this article is awesome, nice written and include approximately all significant infos.
    I’d like to see extra posts like this .

2. Brian 01/02/2014 7:27 pm

And here might be the “inspiration” for the tongue by Lvnel at istockphoto.com

Print campaign by Jung von Matt / Germany for Ehrmann Yogurt

3. Xander Xinger 12/11/2013 1:06 am

Well, I suppose, he’s getting the attention he wants, regardless…

4. matty 04/09/2013 1:40 pm

At first I started reading this site ’cause it scared me to see how easily/often work can get stolen. Now I’m reading it to find hilarious and creepy guys like this. Schadenfreude and all that, but whatever I was worried about 5 mins ago is alleviated as at least I’m not this loser.

5. Hard Throbber 04/03/2013 3:24 pm

Brett Bash steals others work and calls it his own. Brett Bash is a thief. Brett Bash is unoriginal. Brett Bash is a robber!

6. Rosemary Bash 04/03/2013 12:15 pm

THAT SITE IS DISASTER! I don’t know any of this guys, and Bretty HAS NO DOG AT ALL!!!! And, as far as I know, to PIITB is sexual herassment (even the word, you know, her-ass-ment comes from there), and I’m gonna give lamborghini money for attorneys AND WILL SEE WHO WILL BE PUTTING I.T.B. IN JAIL!!

7. Brett's Mom's Unborn Child 04/03/2013 11:17 am

Please, not in the butt! Conceive me, conceive me!

8. A Man Who Had Brett's Mom 04/03/2013 10:40 am

By the way, thanks for last night, Rosemary. Didn’t think you’d want me to PIITB bareback on the first date.

9. A Man Who Knows Bretts Mom 04/03/2013 10:29 am

Calm down, Rosemary. Save your energy for tomorrow. We’ll meet at the bridge club.

10. Rosemary Bash (Mother of Brett) 04/03/2013 10:20 am

LEAVE BRETT ALONE YOU FILTHY KIDS! ONE MORE COMMENT AND I’M GONNA SUE YOU ALL!

11. A QBN User 04/03/2013 9:48 am

We’re on to you again, Brett:

12. A Dog Who Knows Brett 04/03/2013 9:43 am

*wof *wof .. *grrrrrrrrrrrrr…..

13. A Boy Who Knows Brett 04/03/2013 9:41 am

Well, he is ok. I only slept one night with Brett. After he finished a discussion on rebranding my dad’s repair services co., he invited me for drinks. Which was cool, he is a very nice guy. It hurt a little though.

14. A Girl Who Knows Brett 03/22/2013 1:03 am

Seriously? All the work is when he just started out his career. Wow you all know damn well when you were just starting you did the same thing. Haters. Brett is a sweetheart, I have known him for 7 years and he is not a perv, and no he does not sleep with any of his clients actually. He isnt attracted to chicks like that. Your all rude. I hope someone finds work you have jacked from someone else no joke.

15. Moe 01/28/2012 8:15 pm

You know – if you are one of the artists that have ownership of the pictures, you CAN report them on facebook – and they will take action.

16. Moe 01/27/2012 2:18 pm

He deserves some comments on his facebook site.

17. kathtea 08/22/2011 12:44 pm

Wow, he still has his Model Mayhem photographer’s account

Something tells me he’s just doing this mostly to get laid. And money of course.

@Wendy I sent you an FR on MM, I love your work :D

18. wendy whitesell 08/16/2011 9:20 pm

OMG.. This is rich stuff. I was testing out new search engine and used my own name to see what it would dig up. (I’m Wendy Whitesell, the person whose bio he ripped off!) The funny thing is, the guy who conducted the interview wrote that piece; I’d never write something like that about myself– who would??!! Oh.. apparently Brett Bash would.. Oh yeah, he didn’t write it either! What a douche. I can’t wait to send it to the actual author. Thanks for the laugh, yo!!!!

19. ddddd 08/05/2011 12:15 am

When does his reality show come out?

20. moldy 06/08/2011 6:49 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

21. GiveMeABREAK 05/24/2011 7:20 am

OOOOOOh blacklisted..I love it.

What a creepy, creepy, pathetic shell of a person. Man Karma..Yep, it will get you everytime Bash..What a perfect name for you..and it rhymes with Rash…..ugh..and I hope you get one all over your slimy soul……..puke

22. The Dood Abides 05/19/2011 10:42 am
  23. The Dood Abides 05/19/2011 10:40 am

^ Hilarious comment. +1

24. Dood 05/18/2011 1:40 pm

He doesn’t actually have any clients. I “know somebody who knows him” and he literally makes up fake twitter accounts and mentions his personal twitter account from them (ie having conversations with girls to make himself look cool).

He is blacklisted in every sense of the term. Anybody who has heard of him thinks he’s a joke. Anybody who hasn’t, will obviously do a little research when they do, and they’ll realize he’s a joke.

But with that said…let the joke continue. Keep hammering his facebook or twitter when you have a bad day and need to get some curse words out. Dudes like that were put here on earth to be punching bags for everybody else.

25. CP 05/14/2011 6:54 pm

How does someone get away with this? Couldn’t his clients, if he even has any, sue for showing false capabilities?

26. enochjohnson 05/12/2011 7:34 am

Wow… makes me feel like a sucker for doing it the hard way.

27. Maria 05/11/2011 1:28 am

What a creepy dude…

28. Bert Biash 05/11/2011 12:56 am

This guy, Brett Bash, needs to be blacklisted from ever working in the design or photography industries.

29. Johnny Taco 05/10/2011 9:41 pm

This guy makes me f’ing sick. The amount of time he dedicates to totally horrible work is frightening.

30. Alex 05/10/2011 5:32 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA… Douche Bag

31. Beth 05/10/2011 5:28 pm

Found another one.

I guess Mr. Bash can at least be credited with photoshopping the people from Jurabaev’s original work… right?

Link to the work on Jurabaev’s deviantArt: http://jamajurabaev.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d27ddf8

32. dosmas 05/09/2011 1:55 pm

Brett Bash is a hack

33. anon 05/09/2011 1:53 pm

haha this kid is deranged!

Here’s a self “interview” on youtube with ripped work.

34. dMullins 05/09/2011 1:51 pm

Yup, we’ve been dealing with this guy for a few months over at QBN/NT. The rips shown here are but a FRACTION of the work he has ripped off and claimed for his own.

You can keep up on further abuses here: http://www.qbn.com/topics/655038/

35. shade 05/09/2011 1:44 pm

good report…. thorough yet efficient. The original artists should request compensation (a portion of his revenue) as he has acquired new business based on their merit.

36. Tommy Gunn 05/09/2011 1:42 pm

This guy is an absolute scumbag.
    When you look deeper into this story, you see he’s doing all this as a ploy to get girls to take their clothes off. One of the tactics he employs is to make up fake facebook accounts of pretty girls to then comment on his ‘supposed’ work on how great it is.

Here’s one of the most laughable rips…

Matrix original

Brett Bash’s RIP

The guys been taken down once already, but hasn’t learnt his lesson, he needs a smack.

37. Anonymous 05/09/2011 2:20 am

Literal laugh out loud at the horribly photoshopped car picture. You can see a tree in the reflection.