Etsy site with over 460 items using stolen art!

18 Comments

1. Eve 05/04/2015 8:46 pm

Just checked she is still open, I wonder how some sellers stay open with such a plain disregard for copyright? I have a shop and didn’t know “onsie” was a copyright word, I thought it was just what they were called, and was reported and all items with that word taken down, I changed wording to fix it. Then I was called out about 6 months later for using “Mason Jar” describing a item, and then threatened by the etsy “team member” that I had to many copyright complaints and they might shut me down. Really? I was simply describing a item and not taking copyrighted pictures and plastering them on items. I have tons of sales and don’t risk my shop and try to be VERY careful to not use anything copyrighted I can. But gosh they get made for even describing something, not even using it! Yet then other shops use copyright items ALL OVER and have been on for years. I don’t like what seems like etsy’s double standards or the rude “team members” who act like Natzis if you ask anything.I’m fine with enforcing copyright infringement, but they need to enforce ALL of it on all shops!

2. Azarna 05/15/2012 5:50 pm

The shop is still open – May 15 2012

3. Becky 12/08/2011 8:14 pm

I just checked and she’s still selling a lot of copyrighted stuff including the Bowie design. It’s disgusting.

4. former etsian 05/26/2011 8:29 pm

There is far too much of this going on.. Etsy even promotes these types of designs (the better ones). There was a front page feature using a Rubic’s cube! Not OK!! That’s when I knew I had to leave the Etsy community. I contacted Etsy, the seller and Rubic’s cube and nothing.. I now work for a well known company that get’s it’s licensed brands infringed upon all the time from Etsy sellers. So from this side of things.. Etsy seller’s aren’t selling enough to make it worth it for the big company to go after them. Having worked for companies the acquire the license- something that’s expensive- if your design is good enough.. they’ll just knock you off because they can, they have the license and they have the relationship with someone like Urban Outfitters to sell the product in… horrible biz.. stay away from it all. We should all be doing our own art on a farm somewhere.

5. notit 04/21/2011 5:37 pm

So I looked at this again, and a lot of the stuff is gone but not all. Also what gets me is all the Star Wars stuff…. so much of it. I like Star Wars but as a designer and seller it is frustrating to see how blatant this stuff is…. grrr.

As for photoshopping the images on the shirts, sometimes we shirt sellers do have to do this because inventory is small and there is now way to take all the photos of all the designs and have anything left over.

As for the “onesie” thing, if she is using Gerber brand and it clearly shows that in the picture, I believe she can say onesie.

6. Elizabeth 02/07/2011 3:24 am

I just looked at her site – she is now selling dozens of shirts/other merch that uses celebrity likeness. The one that pissed me off most was the use of David Bowie’s lightning-painted face.

I immediately fired off an email with images to the Bowie people. Here’s hoping.

7. anannymouse 09/30/2010 9:28 pm

I reported several items from this shop to etsy (like they’ll do anything about it) AND I reported them to the copyright owner. I hope something gets done about this.

8. fine 09/24/2010 2:17 pm

Art is protected by copyright law as soon as it is made, even without applying for a copyright.

It is a life-long frustration for artists to have their work copied. Unfortunately, many cannot afford to take it to court. Having my art stolen is an even greater frustration

However, I would be careful about false accusations – equally bad and court worthy. Some of these designs that are said to be copies may be originals. Symbols of music and the eternity icon have been used for inspiration by artists for decades.

9. oma 09/23/2010 6:52 am

Not follwing up on TOS violations doesn’t bode well for the site. Ebay doesn’t do much, either, unless someone with clout complains. I guess it’s all about the $$$

10. what 09/23/2010 1:42 am

Etsy won’t do anything. You must report to the copyright/ trademark holders.

11. oma 09/22/2010 4:05 pm

I reported the shop too. This is ludicrous. So many of us are careful not to steal the works of others….what a bad, bad way to make a buck. Karma bites, ya know….I’d hate to have to answer for what this store is doing.

12. oma 09/22/2010 1:29 pm

After all the time I take to make sure my items are original and not from a stolen pattern, this makes me sick.

13. baffled 09/22/2010 12:30 pm

I wonder if someone just started selling things with the Etsy logo, they might notice?

14. nice 09/21/2010 2:05 am

Not to mention they freely use the term ‘Onesie’ which is trademarked by Gerber.

15. The Unknown Etsian 09/21/2010 1:35 am

This crap goes on daily at Etsy. Blatant theft of copyrighted images such as Twilight, Hello Kitty, NFL teams, NASCAR, you name it, someone on Etsy is using the image.
    Etsy doesn’t care. They want to go public and violate their own terms of use on just about everything.

16. laura 09/17/2010 12:13 am

Idiots. Some people just don’t have a brain. I’ve sent that seller a message and reported them

17. em 09/10/2010 9:39 pm

even more bizarre, the images seem photshopped onto the image of a onesie. i know it’s a different issue, but they don’t seem to have even made the products in advance. double bad.

18. Es 09/01/2010 3:14 am

as an etsy seller that actually designs my own work, this crap totally pisses me off…