BBC Documentary Pyramid: Beyond Imagination steals Hans Zimmer Soundtrack

I could not believe the absolute identical score on this documentary to the superb Hans Zimmer score from Gladiator.

I was sure it would have a credit given to Hans Zimmer or Gladiator, but no, just one Martyn Swain.

The documentary (from 2002) start for just one of the many, many examples (auto starting at 25 seconds in)

BBC Documentary opening music

And now track 3, The Battle from the movie Gladiator (2000) (auto starting at 5 mins 52secs in for the same portion)

Gladiator Soundtrack – The Battle

This is just one example, it uses the Gladiator soundtrack music all the way through it, it’s a disgrace.

How does someone get away with this? Especially as the Gladiator soundtrack is SO well known… I only own two soundtracks, and that’s one of them!

Posted by spoco2  |  23 Comments  |  in Film, Music

23 Comments

1. LV 03/18/2013 12:58 pm

I’ve been browsing on-line greater than 3 hours as of late, but I by no means found any interesting article like yours. It’s lovely price enough for me.
    Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the web shall be a lot more
    useful than ever before.

2. ヴィトン 03/12/2013 2:51 pm

I’m curious to find out what blog system you happen to be using? I’m having some minor security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more safeguarded.

Do you have any recommendations?

3. refurbished designer handbags 02/23/2013 5:17 pm

I am in fact grateful to the holder of this web site who has shared this wonderful article
    at at this place.

4. Josh 12/07/2011 10:23 am

The score for this documentary is not a complete carbon copy of Gladiator’s. Some songs are the same, but one in particular isn’t. It’s the song that plays when the new workers are being transported down the nile. That is not in Gladiator’s Soundtrack. I’ve checked. And I really want that song.

5. سعودي كام 01/29/2011 2:19 am

Thankyou to Mr magnificence of Your

6. سعودي 01/29/2011 1:58 am

You are a wonderful human being

7. dieseltaylor 12/13/2010 9:09 am

How it is licensed. Zimmer is one of their clients

8. M. Sean McManus 07/08/2010 2:52 pm

Just as an FYI- Hans Zimmer tracks and scores are licensible from Extreme Music. The BBC “might” have just bought the rights to use it.

9. Shaman 05/28/2010 3:48 pm

guys…this is not from Gladiator it’s from Pirates of the Caraibian !! It’s still done by Hans Zimmer but there are some differences, I think a private BBC orchestra could have done it.

10. spoco2 05/10/2010 3:32 am

^ Thanks for that info, and it does indeed clear things up.

11. Anonymous 05/07/2010 12:18 pm

I’ve spoken to members of the BBC before on this issue. I’m a student aniamtor and we asked what was the issue around music in our work (since we have a large TV in Portsmouth linking to the BBC and we can get it broadcast on there), and we wee told that even though we got no royalties and credited any music we used, we weren’t allowed to use music with copyrights. we had to make our own or use music that was free for broadcasting. They told us the BBC has rights to use a huge library of music, but even if we used a song they have rights to use, the original artist wouldn’t get money for it since the BBC wouldn’t pay for our work.

They told us the BBC does use music belonging to existing artists, almost everything they do has music from other artists and is not often credited at the end, but the original artists do get money for it. But it’s only certain programs.

So yes, it is the gladiator music, but the BBC has the right to use this music and the original artists don’t lose out.

Hope this clears things up.

12. BrokeAndDrive 04/12/2010 5:08 am

If it was so important to you, why did you put it in the public domain? Dumbass. You were asking for someone to steal it.

What you and the rest of the whiny babies at youthoughtwewouldntnotice.com (jesus you idiots suck at domain names) don’t get, is if you don’t write your name in marker on your brown paper lunch bag and — PAY ATTENTION HERE — put it in a ***PUBLIC*** FREEZER, anyone is FREE TO EAT IT. If you were too stupid to write your name on your lunch bag, you lose all rights to bitch when someone eats your lunch. This is where an eight-year-old girl would point at you and say, “DuuUUuuUUuuhh!!” Yeah that’s right, a 2nd-grader is smarter than you.

So it’s less “you thought we wouldn’t notice” than “we don’t give a shit if you notice, in fact we hope you do because fuck you legal-illiterate wiki-aspbergers”.

You should have put your fucking name on it you god damn moron! What the fuck is wrong with your head that you can’t connect two neurons in your skulls? As Earnie at EHOWA.com put so eloquently, rub those two lone brain cells in your cavernous skulls and spark a fucking clue!

So shake off the butthurt, self-righteous emo faggotry, take a step back, accept that ***YOU*** FUCKED UP, learn from this experience and DON’T FUCKING DO IT AGAIN.

P.S. Thank you, Internet, for bringing together so many high-creativity, low-intelligence and low-wisdom cocktards. These derp-derp jackasses have stupidly created a vast, UNDEFENDED resource of art for anyone to FREELY plunder.

And they’re actually surprised that leaving a thousand freshly-baked pies on hundreds of window sills attracts even more hobos? Or frying up a mountain of steaks in the middle of a forest pulls in every single wolf, bear, and cougar in a 20-mile radius?

ARE THESE FUCKERS SERIOUS??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!! OOOOOH HO HO HO HO HO HA HA HA HA HA HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HO HO HO HO HO HAAA HAAAA HAAAA!!! Oh my sides! Their braindead absurdity is killing me… oh my god……….

13. spoco2 04/09/2010 12:18 am

“The BBC have an agreement with the music industry that they do not have to seek permission to use a piece of music in their programming. Obviously, PRS and everything is always payed so artists/composers will get money for their track being used, and usually if they request something not to be used it’ll be removed (this is why when BBC shows are released on DVD or repeated on other non-BBC channels there are sometimes very curious music substitutions).

Therefore there is absolutely no issue with this happening unless a composer has been hired by the BBC to produce original compositions and has submitted plagiarised music, which is almost certainly not the case here.”

This seems to be more informative than the other replies, and is interesting indeed. I do find it odd that they would re-record the piece for use in the show, but maybe that’s part of the agreement, that they can use the music, but not the recording.

Thanks for the info.

14. spoco2 04/09/2010 12:16 am

“A whole lot of Zimmer’s Gladiator soundtrack came from Holst’s The Planets suite. Is it possible this track is based on that and not Zommer’s work?”

Zimmer obviously took inspiration from the piece (Mars bringer of war being the one in question), and there are definite sections which are the same, but as an overall piece it is original and definitely identifiable on its own apart from the Mars piece.

And the section that I highlight here, and many others throughout the doco are direct lifts from the Gladiator soundtrack (again, different performances however, not the same recording), not the Holst suite.

15. spoco2 04/09/2010 12:08 am

“The BBC and indeed any other broadcaster can use almost any music they like – the only qualification being that the composer / publishers have to give permission. ”

Why isn’t it credited then? I checked the credits and it mentioned Martyn Swain as the creator of the music, no ‘x piece and y piece (c) Hans Zimmer’…

“this kind of pedantry is silly”

I’m hardly being pedantic, I’m hearing music I know is by one composer, checking the credits, seeing there’s no mention of that composer and wondering how they can do that? Surely if someone watched this documentary and liked the music they should be able to look up the musician/composer who actually created the work?

16. spoco2 04/09/2010 12:05 am

“From my experience, studios and networks have a large library of music they can use that’s “influenced by” popular songs and soundtracks, so they can use instrumentals that sound familiar to viewers without having to pay the license fees.”

Absolutely I’ve noticed plenty of cases of ‘sounds a lot like’ music around, but this isn’t that, it’s EXACTLY the same, except a different performance of the music.

17. Matt 03/26/2010 11:01 pm

Just to toss this out there without listening to the clips…

18. YellowSphere 03/26/2010 10:16 pm

19. Albert 03/26/2010 4:33 am

HOW CAN THESE MONSTERS GET AWAY WITH PAYING FOR AND USING MUSIC WITH PERMISSION

20. rm 03/25/2010 4:04 pm

You’re barking (up the wrong tree here). The BBC and indeed any other broadcaster can use almost any music they like – the only qualification being that the composer / publishers have to give permission.

Hans Zimmer is getting paid for this music to be used, I’m sure he can live without a credit.

I like this site, but this kind of pedantry is silly.

21. Charles 03/25/2010 10:00 am

I don’t know about this case but many times TV-News documentaries use existing music to soundtrack their documentaries/reports. I don’t think anyone’s trying to pass it off as their own in these instances, I’m sure it’s all authorized and whatnot. It’s kind of lame when you hear film soundtracks exploited to lift third-rate tabloid shit but it happens. They constantly use Hans Zimmer’s soundtrack to ‘The Thin Red Line’ on the crappy Australian version of ’60 Minutes’ here. I hear a lot of uncredited Arvo Part on these shows, as well. The BBC plays quite a bit of Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada behind their documentaries, too, I can recall.

22. km 03/24/2010 11:43 pm

23. jdat 03/24/2010 9:34 pm

That’s BBC for you
    I watch a lot of BBC documentaries and I always get frustrated because they NEVER credit the musicians.

They happen to use a lot of music from ambient and experimental artists which I really like so I recognize a large amount of the music but for the things I don’t know I just wish they’d give credit.

Yes it’s very much a problem. and not a minor one.